Monday, July 23, 2007

Parakey-WebOS


Richard@ReadWriteweb has a good post about Parakey is “a Web operating system that can do everything an OS can do.” Translation: it makes it really easy to store your stuff and share it with the world. Most or all of Parakey will be open source, under a license similar to Firefox’s."

It's fascinating. It's like when I boot my laptop, the 'desktop' is a Firefox window and there is no things called "drive" or "folder" but individual file only with a file name and tags. "my picture" tag may either point to all pictures in my local drive or my photo album at Flickr or Google Picasa. The two can be synced too. Wow. It's cool.

To me, this may eliminate the existence of computer virus since the only executeable application is the Firefox Browser. Office productivity will be done by Google Docs or Zoho like my previous post. To me, this is a more elegant idea than Adobe AIR platform that aiming at: building a web layer beyond whatever OS you are using today, be it WIndows, OS X or Linux. This also remind me the thing I feel so disappointed by Sun Micro: Why not acquire Netscape back to 1996? With Java applet embeded in Netscape browser, Sun can builid a webOS 10 years ago.

Technorati Tags     ,,,,

No comments: