Thursday, April 10, 2008

Babson Library Rocks and Scribd works finally.

Being student is good and having a great university is powerful. So when I was search for things about How to raise a venture capital fund, I got this link:

First-Time Venture Fund Raising: Challenges and Best Practices 


Not free, Duh!

Then I go to our Babson library, such through EBSCO, got it.

So another thing about document. Scribd finally works fine on my Ubuntu desktop after I installed newer version of Adobe flash player for Linux. It works smooth as before. So I'd uploaded a few great files sitting on my desktop for a while:

- Revenue A | Razorfish Digital OutLook Report 2008
- The Digital Economy Fact Book NINTH EDITION sponsoed by the Progress&Freedom Foundation, 2007
and more...


Even though, I'd given eDocr a try as I said earlier. Here are my points.

1. They use Amazon S3 storage service
2. They use HTML upload but its as fast as Scribd's flash uploader
3. The processing time takes longer than Scribd.

I didn't see much differentiation between Scribd and eDocr. So Scribd has some advantage since I have a switch cost here. Now I do have a great idea to improve adoption for both of them, since ZOHO and Google Doc aren't implementing this feature (they did but the solution, Zoho QuickRead sucks and Google Docs only works with Gmail). The idea is to develop a plugin that works seamlessly with browser. So anytime I see a good file I want to save for later review, right click the URL, select menu "upload to Scribd/eDocr". done. So Scribd/EDocr can download the file much faster from their server side directly. Now I won't need to download/upload...Waste of my time, right?

So even though the switch cost is high, if eDocr comes up with this feature, I'd like to switch...




Technorati Tags     ,,,,,,,,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not just bookmark the document/page you find on the internet, rather than duplicating it in Scribd or edocr?

Anonymous said...

Why not just bookmark the document/page you find on the internet, rather than duplicating it in Scribd or edocr?

Anonymous said...

Why not just bookmark the document/page you find on the internet, rather than duplicating it in Scribd or edocr?

li said...

Because bookmark is less interactive, even del.icio.us. I also found that sometime later certain URLs are not valid anymore...